How's this place work?

If you could take a little mental holiday and go to any imaginary place, where would you go?
And what would you do while you were there?

Send me a postcard, handmade or otherwise, from an imaginary location. It can be a place from a book or a movie or a piece of music, or some other world you made up. On the other side, write and tell me what you've been doing on your vacation from reality.

All postcards to be addressed to:

Soozcat
Wish I Were Here
6219 156th Ave. NE
Redmond, WA 98052
United States

I'll scan a selection of postcards and post them to the blog for all and sundry to enjoy.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where do you want to go today?

(It's not just a Microsoft slogan.)

Just thinking tonight that plenty of imaginary places are fun to read about, but they would be frightening to visit. For instance, I love all sorts of fairy tales, but wouldn't really want to spend quality time in any of the stories written down by the Brothers Grimm -- what with all the devious witches and fairies, wicked stepmothers, hungry wolves, brutish ogres, and recurring special guest star Satan, Prince of Darkness, it doesn't seem like a healthy location for a relaxing three-day weekend getaway.  Likewise Middle-Earth, even though I loved both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings -- face it, if you're not hanging out with Elrond or the hobbits, things can get pretty grim.

On the other hand, I'd go to Hogsmeade in a hot second -- yes, even if I were to run the risk of running into He Who Is Frequently Called Voldy. I'd be more than happy to visit Narnia at any time during its history (with the possible exception of The Last Battle). I'd love to visit Green Knowe. Neverland? Of course! And don't get me started about a trip to Egon... I could hold forth for days on that subject.

So, if you had your druthers, what imaginary place would you choose to visit? A relaxing spot where you don't have to worry about your safety, or a place where adventure and danger lurk around every corner? Are you a comfort lover or an adrenaline junkie?

No comments:

Post a Comment